Relationships sometimes come to an end. It can be one of the hardest things we ever have to do. How can you tell when your relationship is over (or should be over)? Are you wondering if it is time to call it quits and you may be passing the point of no return?
1. You cry more often then you laugh.
2. Friends and relatives are all suggesting you get out of the relationship.
3. It often feels like you are on a wild roller coaster ride of emotions.
4. You feel stressed out. You are having trouble concentrating. It’s hard to fall asleep or you fall asleep exhausted.
5. You often feel emotionally drained. Sometimes when we have been on an emotional roller coaster for a long period of time, we tend to “check out” when that becomes normal. Has it started to feel like no matter what you do, it won’t change anything? Hopelessness sets in. Most couples counselors will tell you it’s easier to counsel a couple who is arguing than a couple who is exhausted and has checked out.
6. Your relationship doesn’t feel physically or emotionally safe. Domestic violence is a crime. If someone hurts you when they don’t get their way they will continue to hurt you to get their way. Violence nearly always escalates without intervention. There is nothing you can do to prevent it and it is not your fault.
7. The relationship has ended several times before. You may have heard the phrase “Getting back together with an ‘Ex’ is like taking a shower and putting your dirty clothes back on.” It will meet the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing over and over again and yet expecting somehow you are going to get a different result. If neither of you have learned any new skills or had life changes getting back together to with an ex-partner will nearly always be the same as it was before you broke up.
You deserve a happy healthy relationship. If you feel your relationship or marriage may be salvageable it may be worth your time to Find a Therapist near you or go through the course “Magical Marriage in 21 Days” at www.magicalmarriagein21days.com Sometimes the relationship isn’t working simply because you need to learn new skills that make the relationship fixable!